Medford Child Relocation Attorney

Relocate with Your Children after Divorce

Sometimes the custodial parent wants to move away for work or personal reasons. So long as you are moving with the consent of the other parent, or less than 60 miles from your current address, you have the right to move. However, if the move is more than 60 miles away, and the non-custodial parent has a parenting plan that will no longer work because of the prospective move, something has to change.

You could very well find yourself back in court because the non-custodial parent may try to prevent your move, decide to seek custody because of your move, or a long distance parenting plan needs to be worked out and you can’t agree on the terms. The non-custodial parent can prevent you from moving by filing a “status quo” order which will require everything stays the same as it has been for the last 90 days until a hearing on the merits. Ultimately the court makes a decision based on the best interests of the children.